Here are four laws you need to know about moving a manufactured home and some other tips to help you with the process.

Law #1: You’ll need to get a moving permit to relocate your manufactured home.

You can’t just pick up and leave with your manufactured home when you feel like it. While the exact process of obtaining a moving permit for a manufactured home depends on the state and county in which you are currently living, you will likely be required to provide a couple of key items:


A certificate tax release from the county treasurer stating that there are no unpaid and/or overdue taxes on the property

A certificate of title for the property or a copy of the certificate of title. Some counties will also accept a copy of the application for a certificate of title that you have submitted to your state’s department of motor vehicles

As you would any time you deal with your local municipal government, give yourself plenty of time to get your permit in order before your move—you don’t want slow paperwork or approvals to mess up your moving day.

Law #2: You’ll need a manufactured home mover.
There’s no such thing as a DIY move when relocating with a manufactured home. That’s because the laws on moving a manufactured home require that you work with a licensed, bonded, and insured professional moving company. Using Rocky Mountain Mobile Home Transport Inc., a reputable moving company in your area is a way to make your move go smoothly. Next, reach out to us directly to get a quote today. We have the experience, equipment, and trucks necessary to move your manufactured home. Rocky Mountain Mobile Home Transport Inc.
Not all moving companies are up to the task, so similar to getting your permit, give yourself plenty of time to do your research here when considering other movers.  Make sure to ask a copy of insurance and license and bonds in advance that will help ensure that you get a good company like Rocky Mountain Mobile Home Transport Inc. to help you out.  You know you’re getting the best deal possible on your manufactured home move with Rocky Mountain Mobile Home Transport Inc.

Law #3: You’ll need your manufactured home to be up to code.
Those HUD codes we mentioned before aren’t just suggestions for manufactured homes. They are legal requirements for placing any manufactured home on the map address, including ones built before the codes went into place.
So what does this mean for your move? If your manufactured home was built before the HUD codes were enacted in 1976, your home should still be setup to HUD guidelines. Some mobile home parks and city municipalities bolster this law with their own age limits and strict local requirements around modern-day building standards for the home and its internal systems. With those standards in place, a manufactured home built in the ’70s, ’80s, or even ’90s have code guidelines that must be met to pass inspection. Rocky Mountain Mobile Home Transport Inc can walk you through and get your home setup to meet HUD and city municipality codes.
Law #4: You’ll need to check the legal requirements of your new city/town.

The city/town where you’re relocating may have stricter laws regarding building standards and property age than your current town. You will almost certainly have special zoning restrictions that you’ll have to abide by.

If your manufactured home is more than 15 or 20 years old, expect to go through a bit of legwork providing accurate proof of the integrity of its structure and systems. Modern-day building standards are in place for a reason, and there’s no getting around these laws if your property isn’t meeting the bar.